[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC, Request for testing, PATCH] snow wavelet fliping

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jan 2 19:26:13 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 06:33:44PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > the attached patch rotates the residual by 180? for every 2nd frame
> > before performing the wavelet transform (!only encoding is implemented!)
>
> > and comments about this are even more welcome
>
> Could you tell me, maybe 'us', why this works? And maybe what the results
> are for flipping the residual?

lets see
example signal is
  0   0   1   2  -6   2   1   0
the 5/3 wavelet transform of that is
 -1  -4  16  36 -30  36  16  -4   /8

if now we flip the signal
  0   1   2  -6   2   1   0   0
then the 5/3 wavelet transform of that is
  0   0   0 -64   0   0   0   0   /8

-> some signals simply can be represented much more compactly in the
   wavelet domain if they are shifted a little

if we now always encode images with the same shift then there is a much
higher chance that some signals will be always hard to store, if OTOH
we flip the wavelet after each frame then what cannot easily be stored
(= gets quantized to 0) in the even frames can with some luck more easily
be stored in the odd frames

If you really think that XML is the answer, then you definitly missunderstood
the question -- Attila Kinali