[Ffmpeg-devel] PTS values

Anders Moden ffmpeg
Wed Jan 3 00:25:59 CET 2007

19 dec 2006 kl. 23.06 skrev Paul Curtis:

> Anders Moden wrote:
>
>> Is there any docs that explains the various pts values found in
>> the stream, the image and the codec. i can find at least 4 pts
>> struct members with various values when decoding?
>
> That was my problem, also. The discussion concerned which values
> were valid after a call to audio_decode or video_decode with
> "finished" == true. After much experimentation, I found the cur_dts
> to have a valid, monotonically increasing value that was usable for
> the encoder.
>
> I never did find any docs that explained when each of the pts/dts
> values were valid ... so I built a small program that did nothing
> but print the values out. I never got a firm answer on which ones I
> should use ....

Too bad. Havn't found the right discussion yet and I haven't tested
the cur_dts yet. However I think it is really bad this information
shall be so difficult to find.

I think the ffmpeg project needs some proper system description !

My original question was why I got unordered pts values using
avcodec_decode_video(m_pVideoCodecCtx, m_pFrame, &frameFinished,
packet.data, packet.size) in the m_pFrame struct ? Please can someone
answer this if the images I get are unsorted then ?

/Anders Mod?n
Saab Training Systems AB
www.gizmosdk.com