[Ffmpeg-devel] New/extended filter API discussion

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Jan 3 14:27:46 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:52 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > In my view, this library will only provide an interface, and will use
> > other libraries (such as libswscale) to actually implement the filters.
> > Does this make sense?
> do you mean every filter should be in its own lib? that would lead to 100
> libs or so, this doesnt seem like a good idea, it rather looks like
> unneccesary seperation
You are right, what I wrote does not make sense :)
I wanted to stress the fact that to me the "important part" of the
library is the infrastructure providing a common API capable of
supporting every kind of filter...
Filters can be "internal" (implemented in libavfilter itself) or
external (implemented through wrappers to other libraries).

> things like libswscale and libpostprocess should be supported through
> wrapers like vf_scale.c in mplayer
I agree.

> > If there is interest, I can search for my old notes about possible
> > avfilter designs / goals. But they are just random ideas, and I do not
> > have big experience with filters... :) (this is another reason why I did
> > not post my ideas on the mailing list)
> there always is interrest in avfilter ideas ...
Ok; I'll search for my notes, try to write down something that makes
sense from them, and post my ideas on the mailing list.

                               N O    W A R ! ! !