[Ffmpeg-devel] Shared libraries on AMD64

Josh Mahonin jmahonin
Fri Jan 5 15:58:53 CET 2007

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> How about NOT using any of the weird cflags you're passing?

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.  :P

The library compiles fine, the error seems to be in calling the encoder,
after the library is loaded.  The inspiration for these 'weird cflags'
came from this thread
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/19051/focus=19474)
where Iz Mir and Roine Gustafsson got dynamic loading working under Mac
OSX.  Albeit I'm on a different platform, but the problem is similar.

For the record, the ideal configure string I'd be using is
'--enable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver', but for example,
mmx instructions aren't supported on AMD64, so I tried '--disable-mmx'.
I have a feeling this problem could be related to shared symbols, hence
'-fno-common' and '--disable-strip'.  The other '--extra-cflags' I got
from Mir and Gustafsonn's Makefile patch, so I figured I'd try those as
well.  Please don't respond telling me to link statically.  Believe me,
I'd love to.

By the way, does anyone know of a small open-source encoder that uses a
dynamically loaded libavcodec.so?  Although I'm fairly sure the apps I'm
using for testing are in working order, it'd be nice to use another
application just to be sure.

Thanks,

Josh.