[Ffmpeg-devel] New/extended filter API discussion

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jan 5 20:52:48 CET 2007

Hi

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:04:21PM -0500, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:52 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > (BTW, I think the library will need to provide two
> > > separate APIs: one for audio and one for video... Or is it possible to
> > > design a filter API that can support both audio and video?)
> >
> > yes 2 seperate APIs make most sense
>
> How will this accommodate filters that deal with both audio and video?
> For example a visualization filter (goom, say) will receive audio as
> input, and provide the video as output.

by having an audio and a video filter which are connected together

anyway if whoever designs the filter API decides to have a single audio+video
API then i certainly wont complain but until now _everyone_ has failed to
design a good video filter API, so adding yet another interdependancy
is probably not going to make that any easier

to repeat again some goals of a video filter API
* well documented (see mplayer for how not to do it)
* writing a filter should not require complete knowledge of all
  (undocumented) internals of the video filter system
* direct rendering (useing a buffer provided by the next filter)
* inplace rendering (for example adding some subtitles shouldnt need the
  whole frame to be read and written)
* slices based rendering (improves cache locality, but there are issues
  with out of order decoding ...)
* multiple inputs
* multiple outputs (could always trivially be handled by several filters
  with just a single output each)
* timestamps per frame
* also th number of frames consumed by a filter does not have to match the
  number output ((inverse)telecine, ...)

also i suggest that whoever designs the filter system looks at mplayers
video filters as they support a large number of the things above

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch