[Ffmpeg-devel] Some more thoughts about libavfilter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jan 9 19:02:41 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:38:30PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 01:51 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > > 2) The "last" filter who use the AVFrame buffer is responsible for
> > > freeing it.
> [...]
> > what if there are several Fout? (several outputs)
> You are right. I forgot to mention that using this mechanism a single
> frame buffer cannot be pushed to two different output filters, and a
> copy is needed for the second output (well, I had something similar
> witten on my old notes, but it was too confused and I skipped it :).
>
> If this additional copy is not acceptable, then I think refcounting is
> the only way to go

an additional copy is never a good idea ...

> (or am I missing some other possible solution?).

who knows ...

> Is it acceptable to add a reference_count field in AVFrame?

yes if its neccesary and enough to solve the problem

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch