[Ffmpeg-devel] Bugs-Features

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jan 14 21:27:10 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 11:11:55AM -0800, C.Ren Boca wrote:
> Been using ffmpeg for a while. Works pretty good. So far only having problems using it with  ffserver.
>
> Had a segfault with a revision downloaded on 01-07-06. gdb  told me it was here:
>  ffmpeg.c
>   3237  #warning FIXME: find a better interface
>   3238          if(!strncmp(video_device,"x11:",4)) {
>   3239              video_grab_format="x11grab";
>   3240          }

this has been fixed in svn a while ago ... i think ... at least i approved
the fix

[...]
> When ffserver is running, I can usually stop and restart the ffmpeg feed to it, but when I change the command line options, ffserver will usually segfault.
>
> I have checked out Revision 7486 on 01-13-07. I will pursue this further.
> Kernel: 2.4.31
> gcc: version 4.1.1
> Stock Slackware 10.2 install
> Vidcap Card: Cheapo ebay special. (Unknown / Generic.) The Notorious Pico2000.
> CPU: 1100 Celeron.
> 512M Ram.
>
> Will upgrade to 2.6 kernel. I do not believe it is kernel/bttv driver or hardware. Upgrading gcc seemed to help a little. ffmpeg complained about gcc not aligning stack variables with the version that came with Slack 10.2

gcc is a pile of shit, anyway ffserver too is fairly unstable, bugfixes
for it would be very welcome and no i dont think upgrading your kernel
will help at least not more then any other random change

> Some annoyances:
> 1) The vhook documentation does not jive with with the svn download --  drawtext and watermark, not imlib2. If the documentation needs to be revised, I will help.
> 2) The ffserver documentation could be little more comprehensive. I will help if needed.

improvments to the docs are always welcome ...

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus