[Ffmpeg-devel] dependency tracking improvements

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Jan 22 01:21:21 CET 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:06:18 +0100
Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:52:15AM +0100, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > Here is a patch which further improve new Mans dependency tracking system.
> > It moves dependency information from configure to allcodecs.c/allformats.c.
> > Advantages are that it simplifies configure and that when you add a new
> > codec, you don't need to mess with configure. Just add a new line in
> > allcodecs.c and you're done.
> > Opinions ?
> > Can I commit this ?
>
> Putting that info in a comment sounds very fragile to me.  This way
> compilation might fail if somebody changes a comment ...

Anyway, we already heavily rely on the structure of this file to parse
it with sed. It's already very easy to break.
But if you think using comments is bad, maybe we could do something
like this:

-  REGISTER_DECODER(AAC, aac);
+  REGISTER_DECODER(AAC, aac, libfaad);

Do you prefer it ?
IMO, it's as much fragile, and uglier than a comment.

Maybe adding a big comment at the top of this file explaining the syntax
and the importance of the //DEPS: comments would do the trick ?

Aurel