[Ffmpeg-devel] network include files for MinGW

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Jan 24 22:28:37 CET 2007

"Fran?ois Revol" <revol at free.fr> writes:

>> ramiro at lisha.ufsc.br writes:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > MinGW doesn't have some include files used in networking such as
>> > arpa/inet.h.
>> >
>> > What's the preferable way of going around this?
>> > - #ifdef in each file with these includes
>> > - make a network.h file with the #ifdefs inside it, and every
>> > network file
>> > should include it
>> > - make configure generate dummy include files for MinGW builds
>> I prefer option #2.  The fewer #ifdefs, the better.
> I actually removed the #ifdefs __BEOS__ for arpa/inet.h just a week ago
> :D
> What I thought about instead was to have fake headers instead. For BeOS
> only arpa/inet.h is missing (and only for R5 actually), so it wouldn't
> be too hard.
> How many are missing for MinGW ?
> What we could do is have a platform/ folder (or support/ or compat/ or
> whatever) with folders for platforms needing headers.
> For ex:
> platform/beosr5/arpa/inet.h
> platform/mingw/arpa/inet.h
> platform/mingw/whatever.h
> and configure would just add -Iplatform/$platform/ to CFLAGS.

Having header files with names intentionally the same as system header
files is a bad idea.  It will only lead to trouble sooner or later.

> We could also just use a single header like os_support.h for the
> network.

The proper solution is for the configure script to check which headers
are present.  Workarounds can then  be provided for the specific
features that are missing from the target system.

M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com