[Ffmpeg-devel] dependency tracking improvements

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Jan 25 15:06:25 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:05:38AM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> On 1/22/07, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:21:21AM +0100, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:

> >> Anyway, we already heavily rely on the structure of this file to parse
> >> it with sed. It's already very easy to break.
> >> But if you think using comments is bad, maybe we could do something
> >> like this:
> >>
> >> -  REGISTER_DECODER(AAC, aac);
> >> +  REGISTER_DECODER(AAC, aac, libfaad);
> >>
> >> Do you prefer it ?
> >> IMO, it's as much fragile, and uglier than a comment.
> >
> >That's better and less fragile.
>
> AFAIU, the fact that it's a macro that takes care of this makes the
> compiler check that at least the 3 parameters are there....
> Now, if you turn it into a macro that accepts a variable number of
> parameters (which seems to make sense as one given module may have
> more than one dep), then I don't see how it can be less fragile.

Less fragile because it does not change the semantics of comments.  IMO
comments should not be able to cause compilation to fail.

If some frustrated dev sees

  /* libfaad */

and changes it to

  /* libfart */