[Ffmpeg-devel] h263+: size of encoded frames after opening ffmpeg

Martin marthi
Fri Jan 26 10:29:45 CET 2007

Hi,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 11:23:59AM +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:14:40AM +0100, Martin wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>

>>>AVFrame.quality
>>>and set CODEC_FLAG_QSCALE
>>
>>Thank you very much, that worked. How is the relationship between
>>quality and bitrate? Is there a formula which expresses it?
>

> besides encode at quality X and look at the bitrate, no but theres some
> approximation, and that is that quality and bitrate are approximatly
> inversly proportional so double the quality variable and bitrate should
> be approximately cut in half

what I measured didn't give this behaviour (double quality -> half bitrate):
I used a bitrate of 1280000 bits/sec in AVCodecContext. Measured Bitrate
with different qualities:

## Qual Bitrate
1) 600: 3012856
2) 1200: 1002368
3) 2400: 556024
4) 4800: 419112

A function is inversely proportional if x*y = a, where a is some
constant. So the products of quality and bitrate are:

1) 1807713600
2) 1202841600
3) 1334457600
4) 2011737600

This is far from approximately constant. There must be some computation
that you are doing to get a bitrate from quality, right? I really need
to know how to compute it and appreciate any help on this!

Thanks,

Martin