[Ffmpeg-devel] splitting libavformat

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Jan 29 10:47:38 CET 2007

I've been thinking about $subject since the last round of build system
changes that broke MPlayer.  We had to disable a ton of stuff in
libavformat that we do not really need.  It seems to me that the
underlying problem is that libavformat has become kind of a grab bag
that contains a multitude of more or less unrelated things.

We have support for grab devices and networking protocols as well as
multimedia container formats.  IMO libavformat should only contain the
latter, the former to could go into something like libavprotocols and
libavgrab.

Thoughts?

Diego