[Ffmpeg-devel] fps again

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Jan 29 11:32:56 CET 2007

Ignazio Castrogiovanni wrote:
> Is there another way to get fps from a video than searching how
> ffmpeg.cdone it?

You could read the specs of every format and codec you want to support,
and decode just the part of the file that you need. That re-inventing a
square stone wheel when ffmpeg is already a 12-cylinder turbocharged
grandprix engine... which yes, is complicated. But that's because all
multimedia formats *are* intrinsically complicated, plus there is the
requirement that tools be robust even in the face of corrupt files,
which complicates even more.

One may wish for a multimedia player useable by Joe Sixpack, and that's
a not unrealistic goal, indeed mplayer is mostly there for most files.
But a simple *API*? Its like asking for a car anyone can repair himself.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be