[FFmpeg-devel] GPL version matter

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Jul 1 18:31:59 CEST 2007

Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:

> On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 13:17 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> you are assuming here that a ffmpeg under GPL3 is distributeable to begin
>> with, iam not so sure here, the GPL3 is a scary complex document
>> which at least makes non personal use of multimedia software practically
>> impossible, that is your choice is between violating the GPL or going to
>> court with MPEG-LA about their dubios patent claims
>> due to that i likely will never accept GPL3(+) submissions
>
> I think your interpretation of the license is incorrect. I see no such
> requirements in the license, and the FSF would not want to create such a
> situation.

Actually, I believe that is exactly what they want.  They are
desperately holding on to the notion that by making patented
algorithms incompatible with the license, people will choose to
implement a different algorithm rather than use another license.
Of course reality is quite different from their utopian visions.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com