[FFmpeg-devel] hardware aided video decoding

Attila Kinali attila
Sun Jul 8 12:15:56 CEST 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:43:32 -0600 (MDT)
Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> common mc:
> The primitive operation of mc is a fir filter. Implement a 2/4/6/8-tap
> fir filter (applying to a block of pixels) with programmable coefficients
> and rounding modes, and allow the firs to be chained in arbitrary ways.
> A generic fir filter could by used for wavelets too.
> mpeg4 qpel also has some weirdness whereby it mirrors the block edges
> before sending them into the 8-tap.

I don't understand how you can abstract MC to a FIR filter.
>From my understanding of MC (which might be wrong) MC uses
a vector pointing into the previously decoded frame to predict
the currently processed macro block. To me, that's an operation
that rather resambles a texture mapping than a FIR filter.

Can you explain this a little bit further?

> Decoding a h264 intra block in a software codec:
> idct the residual of this block.
> Predict the pixels of this block, using the decoded pixels of the
> neighboring blocks (all neighbors: left, top-left, top, top-right), using
> 1 of 22 prediction modes.
> Add residual to prediction.
> Use these newly decoded samples to predict the next block...
> If you want to do the prediction in hardware without the idct, that's
> possible.

This rather sounds like i would like to leave that completely
in software, as the host cpu has better memory bandwidth and
has less trouble to handle large and random memory accesses.

			Attila Kinali

Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann
                        -- Daniel Hottinger