[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] allow mpegts demuxer to reload streams if service disappears

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 15 10:33:04 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:19:51AM +0200, elupus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into and issue with current mpegts demuxer when streaming from a tv
> streaming server. when the server changes channel, the mpegts stream isn't
> torn down, but the data in it is just replaced, this messes up lavf as it
> now never finds any stream data on the tuned service.
>
> This patch attemps to handle that by checking each PAT table if current
> service isn't available anymore. If it has been removed the idea is to
> remove all added avformat streams, and re-add based on the PMT for the
> first available service (this part isn't done yet).  I hope there isn't any
> huge problem with removing streams and readding new ones.
>
> In it's current form it's untested, so it's more a check if something like
> this is of interest and if there is a better way to handle this.

interrest yes, the mpeg ts demuxer needs work
but changes must be clean, bug free, 100% mpeg standard conformant ...

now what is auto_follow doing? we dont need yet another variable to select
between 2 wrong heuristics, look at the mpeg-ts spec and implement it
properly
also the stream removial is likely completely wrong. from what i remember
these tables can be split and so if you remove all except whats in the
next table you will just have a subset of all services

also id like to emphasize that we must demux all services/streams by default
demuxing just a random one/first one is not ok
there is AVDiscard with which the user can indicate which streams/services
he wants

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope