[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] allow mpegts demuxer to reload streams if service disappears

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 15 13:44:07 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 10:53:27AM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > also the stream removial is likely completely wrong. from what i remember
> > these tables can be split and so if you remove all except whats in the
> > next table you will just have a subset of all services
>
> a more correct approach would be: every time the pat version changes
> (and not sooner) reset the program map and reparse the PAT;
> whenever a PMT version changes reset the single program.
> I wouldn't give too much importance to multi-section tables:
> I've never seen one myself and accordingly to someone much more in the
> knows than me they were never used (they don't make any sense)

IIRC theres a maximum size for these tables and so not supporting split
tables means not supporting more than X streams, this doesnt sound like
a path which we should follow, unless X is huge, but i doubt it

> > also id like to emphasize that we must demux all services/streams by default
> > demuxing just a random one/first one is not ok
> > there is AVDiscard with which the user can indicate which streams/services
> > he wants
> >

> last time I checked there wasn't the slightest notion of service or
> program in AVFormat; was it introduced recently?
> It's not practical for users discarding individual pids because
> 99% of the times they won't know which pids comprise a program

its a matter of adding service_name / service_id fields to AVStream
they are already known in the mpeg ts demuxer and just have to be exported

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates