[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: COOK audio decode infastructure to support fixpoint optimization

Marc Hoffman mmhoffm
Sun Jul 15 23:00:04 CEST 2007

On 7/15/07, Marc Hoffman <mmhoffm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/15/07, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 07:59:22PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> > [...]
> > able to
> > not sure
> > does
> > > >

> > > Well what I meant was that I don't think 16 bits is enough for the
> > > transform step to keep a good enough precision. So if 32 bits is
> > needed
> > > in the transform step then why not use 32bits in all the calculations
> > > for simplicity.
> >
> > the general rule of thumb is that a n point decorrelation transform
> > needs
> > log2(n)/2 bits more for the values in the frequency domain than in the
> > time domain
> >
> > so 16bit is definitly not enough if you have 16bit audio
>

> Agreed. so whats your take on 16bit phase factors?

However, you can scale each of the add subs, so that you lose some precision
to eliminate overflow and obtain reasonable results.

Something like this would lose log(n)-bits of precision for  n  point fft.

        tr        = (X[k2*2]*wwr - X[k2*2+1]*wwi + 0x4000)>>15;
        ti        = (X[k2*2]*wwi + X[k2*2+1]*wwr + 0x4000)>>15;

        X[k2*2]   = (X[k*2]   - tr)>>1;
        X[k2*2+1] = (X[k*2+1] - ti)>>1;

        X[k*2]    = (X[k*2]   + tr)>>1;
        X[k*2+1]  = (X[k*2+1] + ti)>>1;