[FFmpeg-devel] Licensing gray area

Justin Ruggles justinruggles
Mon Jul 16 23:31:17 CEST 2007

Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:38:35PM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> I was actually quite grumpy about that at the time, though I had not
> complained to the list. I'm quite glad you've noticed this and about
> the suggestions earlier in the thread.
>
> Note that the original SoC proposal had been to implement E-AC3
> which is a significant extension over the base AC3 format. If this
> had gotten done I would not mind about the LGPL license at all -
> I was only unhappy because the project did not go much farther than I had.
>
> If you get to E-AC3 first and want that to be under LGPL I'd be totally
> amenable to that (assuming there is still any of my code left at that point -
> if there is none then I would not have anything to say anyway :)

Great.  Most, if not all, of it will indeed be removed.  I did find a
couple of other sections that appear to be derived from liba52, so I
have planned to go through the code very closely before changing the
license of that file back to LGPL.  I'm glad to hear that you're
amenable to LGPL though.  If I find any minor things left which are from
liba52 that I don't feel like rewriting I'll run them by you before
proceeding with the license switch.

As far as E-AC3 goes, so far the bulk of the new code is bitstream
parsing for the new format.  Implementation of the "enhanced" algorithms
will come with new samples which actually use them.  Maybe some will be
implemented as preliminary ideas, but will require testing with
as-yet-undiscovered samples.

Thanks,
Justin