[FFmpeg-devel] new filter infastructure stuff (Google Summer of Fun)

mmh mmh
Tue Jun 5 13:09:04 CEST 2007

Luca Barbato writes:
 > Michael Niedermayer wrote:
 > >> Here are some reasons why we might like to support some level of dynamic filters.
 > >>
 > >> 1. if you have some proprietary thing you want to apply to the video prior to re-encode.
 > >
 > > if some company wants to have their proprietary filters supported _they_
 > > can add optional .so support ...
 >
 > And even if you want it just for internal usage...
 >

 > >> 2. to add so architecture platform specific capability which is not available to other
 > >> platforms.
 >
 > The only reason I could find for .so is that you may like to build new
 > modules w/out having to hack the main ffmpeg code, but it isn't exactly
 > a problem IMHO.

Hi Luca,

Another reason might be: to be able to provide a library to a customer
who doesn't know how or want to run make or install the tools.  And
for that matter they just have a vanilla distribution of the LINUX on
machines with out compilation support.

Thanks
Marc