[FFmpeg-devel] new filter infastructure stuff (Google Summer of Fun)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jun 5 23:42:06 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 12:26:20AM +0900, Bobby Bingham wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:04:43PM -0400, mmh wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm interested in understanding some specific details about the new
> >> filter structure being implemented as part of the Google Summer of
> >> Code Project.  Specifically, will this new package support something
> >> similar to vhooks which provide the ability to bind filters at runtime
> >> as shared objects?  I hope the answer is yes.
> >
> > no
> > and any dependancy on .so or runtime loading is completely unaccpetable
> > as some systems simply dont support dynamic loading or shared libs
>
> I do think it's useful if the calling app can use its own filters,
> rather than only what's in ffmpeg.  But I envision doing this where the
> calling app can call an av_register_filter() or similar with a structure
> giving the filter entry points.  Where the code itself resides - in the
> calling app itself, or some .so loaded by it - is completely irrelevant
> and up to the app.

i like this design

[...]
> > also a filter system which can dynamically load filters as shared libs
> > is not that usefull unless you want to support binary only filters
>
> Or if other people decide to write and package filters outside of ffmpeg.

yes

> > i too hope we will eventually have a audio filter layer but this years SOC
> > project is just about video and that is by itself more than large enough
> > task
> >

> I feel I've got to apologize for the slow start I'm off to on this.  My
> study abroad is coming to an end, so I'm in the middle of frantic
> packing as I prepare to head back to the states.  I do hope to have more
> ideas to discuss soon, so I can get started on coding soon thereafter
> though.

great
also if you have any questions or anything else dont hesitate to ask
here or on the soc list or me

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates