[FFmpeg-devel] Reworking the codec lookup system

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jun 11 03:16:52 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 11:51:44PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> writes:
>
> > Le duodi 22 prairial, an CCXV, Baptiste Coudurier a ?crit?:
> >> I don't see the need for family name, IMHO codec_id is sufficient and
> >> unique, and should be used to identify what a decoder/encoder can
> >> decode/encode, but I can see the ambiguity between some variants of
> >> MPEG-4 (part 2), which really caused that mess, IMHO codec_tag +
> >> codec_id should be sufficient to identify.
> >
> > Alas, it does not work that way. CodecID is neither an identifier of the
> > codec, nor of the codec family. For example, there are both CODEC_ID_MPEG4
> > and CODEC_ID_XVID, although they are in the same codec family. On the other
> > hand, there is only CODEC_ID_VORBIS for the vorbis and libvorbis encoders.
>
> CODEC_ID_XVID should go.

yes strongly agree, its a hack to be able to select the encoder by id instead
of name, the proper solution is to select by name ...

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato