[FFmpeg-devel] [BUG] Linking error when using Intel's compiler

Dave Dodge dododge
Fri Jun 15 08:03:21 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:20:04PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 18:23 +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> > It seems weird to me though, the symbol is being referenced from within
> > the same file, and still... removing the static fixes the linking error.
> > An ICC bug?
>
> The symbol is only referenced from within inline asm, and the asm in
> question does not declare its dependencies correctly.

icc can be very aggressive when it comes to code removal, especially
when using its optimizations that look for references across multiple
files.  For example if your main program contains a function which is
only ever used by a shared library that you manually dlopen() at
runtime, icc might think it has no callers and remove it.

                                                  -Dave Dodge