[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-cvslog] r8197 - in trunk/libavcodec: avcodec.h h264.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Mar 3 01:38:45 CET 2007

Hi

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 12:59:15AM +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Hi Michael!
>
> On 2007-03-02 23:35, michael wrote:
> > Author: michael
> > Date: Sat Mar  3 00:35:26 2007
> > New Revision: 8197
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/libavcodec/avcodec.h
> >    trunk/libavcodec/h264.c
> >
> > Log:
> > support feeding individual NAL units to the decoder instead of just complete frames
>
> This would fix h264 over rtsp (no AVParser needed anymore), but
> unfortunately, there are framerate problems:
> If the frame is truncated in 4 NAL units, video framerate is only 1/4=-(
>
> And a question: How do I send flags2 to decoder (I just commented the
> check away)?

well there are many many things to consider :(

1. isnt it better if the rtsp code sends complete frames? if a single
NAL unit is delayed so it is received in the middle of the next frame
things will not look good ...
2. why not just leave the AVParset there ...
3. you could improve the single NAL unit code and make it default
that would need supporting the case that the first and last slice is
lost this currently will not work, of course this should ideally be
fixed anyway ...

now about the framerate issue, i dunno the rtsp code but this sounds
like it doesnt set dts/pts at all or only randomly so that lavf
is filling things in and lavf assumes 1packet==1frame

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf