[Ffmpeg-devel] Prefix for img_* functions

Panagiotis Issaris takis
Sun Mar 4 13:01:28 CET 2007

Hi,

Baptiste Coudurier schreef:
> Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm a bit confused regarding the FFmpeg project's naming conventions:
>> Some functions are prefixed ith avcodec_, some with av_, some with
>> avpicture_ some are not prefixed (such as register_avcodec, dump_format,
>> parse_image_size, parse_frame_rate, parse_date, find_info_tag,
>> video_grab_init, audio_init, dv1394_init, dc1394_init), some with ffm_
>> and now because of this patch :) three with av_picture.
>>
>> I wasn't sure if I should prefix it with avpicture_ or av_picture,
>> because: Well, there was already one prefixed with avpicture_ which made
>> me want to prefix it with the same prefix, but as most other functions
>> appeared to be prefixed with av_ I thought that it still might be a bit
>> more consistent to use av_picture, hoping that avpicture_ might be
>> allowed to be changed to av_picture too soon.
>>

> No strong feeling about av_picture or avpicture, would say avpicture_
> because of less '_' and because type_action is somewhat a clear convention.

Okay, I think it would be best if someone started a new thread on naming
conventions for FFmpeg... Hopefully we'll all agree on some conventions,
so I can make a patch which makes all functions use consistent naming.

With friendly regards,
Takis