[Ffmpeg-devel] Mpeg2-ts encoder uses fixed PES payload size

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Mar 4 20:48:00 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:33:23PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 07:06:39PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 18:56 +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >> Sorry, I sent a wrong patch. Here is the correct one.
> >
> > i would prefer if the sdt placement frequency could be selected by the
> > user instead of haveing a dummy muxer which doesnt place SDTs
> > but mans is maintainer not me so its his decission ...
> >
> > if the placement becomes user selectable then we also must decide
> > about  the units of the new parameter (sdt per time vs. sdt per
> > bits) without looking at the mpeg spec i would guess per time is
> > more correct
>
> With a quick glance at the DVB specs, all I find about SI repetition
> rates is a minimum interval of 25ms between repetitions.
>
> BTW, why do we generate SDT at all?  It is a DVB extension, and would
> only be useful to someone creating a transport stream for broadcast,
> for which purpose the current lavf ts muxer is useless.  A proper DVB
> transport stream also needs the other DVB SI tables, which we do not
> create.

well you are our mpeg (de)muxing expert and maintainer ...

also it seems the SDT stuff has been there since the initial checkin of
mpegtsenc.c so i fear only fabrice knows why its there ...

ive no objections to simply disabling it if you say its useless ...

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle