[Ffmpeg-devel] ogg radio support?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje
Mon Mar 12 00:58:42 CET 2007

Hi Mans,

On Mon, 2007-03-05, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> "Ronald S. Bultje" <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net> writes:
> > are there any plans to support Ogg Radio, a.k.a. chained Ogg [1]?
>
> I'm aware of this problem, and I've been trying to think of a
> solution.  The more I think about it, the more it appears as an
> abomination.  Just like everything Ogg related.  No surprises there.

I basically agree. But it's there, it's free and it'd be good to
advertise free stuff to the naive world who lives under the illusion
that free stuff is always better than non-free stuff, even if only for
advertising purposes. Let's not forget that for some people, this
all-free stuff is basically how they see Linux. Virgin radio (who uses
shoutcast), for example, gives a link to the Ogg stream by default to
Linux clients. This is great, b/c it means they accept that we exist,
but it sucks b/c only a few clients actually play this correctly. :-).
Strangely, mp3 support is a lot better than ogg support in our free
world.

Any update on how you'd like this done? If you don't care, just say so
and I'll make up some crazy hack myself which - after some review rounds
- may end up being good enough to apply at some point in the far future.

Ronald