[Ffmpeg-devel] GSoC'07 Wiki

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Tue Mar 13 11:21:42 CET 2007

Hi

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:06:36AM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> Mike Melanson wrote:
>>> Summer of Code is happening earlier this year. This week is the time to
>>> apply. I just submitted the FFmpeg application and created a Wiki page
>>> for ideas:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Summer_Of_Code_2007
>>>
>>> Start adding your ideas. I have populated the page with some ideas I
>>> have already read from the list and other sources. Please adhere to the
>>> guidelines for good vs. bad proposals, also listed on the page.
>> Can the wiki now be moderated please ?
>
> Why not use the talk page of the Wiki?

If it is discussed first, yes, what is not atm.

>> For those who did not check it yet:
>>
>>     * 3.2 JPEG2000
>>     * 3.3 Monkey's Audio Decoder
>>     * 3.4 QCELP Decoder
>>     * 3.5 Finish LC AAC decoder and implement HE-AAC(+)
>>
>> IMHO does not need a soc project.
>
> Why?  I'd love to see AAC implemented and I don't see why it wouldn't
> need a SoC project ...

Code is already present in aac trunk, and google already dedicated a
project for it last year, it failed to be integrated yet and integration
is IMHO not a sufficient reason to propose it again.

>>     * 3.6 E-AC3 Decoder
>>     * 3.7 GSM Decoder
>>     * 3.8 Dirac Encoder AND Decoder
>>     * 3.9 i263 Decoder
>>     * 3.10 VP6 Encoder
>>     * 3.11 NUT Muxer
>>     * 3.12 Matroska Muxer
>>     * 3.13 MPEG TS/DVB Muxer
>>     * 3.14 PAFF decoding for H.264/AVC
>>     * 3.15 MXF Muxer
>>     * 3.16 RV30/RV40 decoders
>>
>> is that a dream ?
>
> Why?  RV30/RV40 needs to be reverse engineered, the rest seems plausible
> to me ...

What do you mean by "the rest" ?

Qualifications for a good Summer of Code proposal:

    * discrete, well-defined, modular

complies.

    * comprised of a series of measurable sub-goals

reversing might be measurable, I doubt though.

    * based on open specs that are available free of charge

fails here.

    * based on complete specs

fails here.

SMARTJOG S.A.                                    http://www.smartjog.com