[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] DV in QuickTime - Aspect Ratio

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Wed Mar 14 01:31:24 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 17:38 -0600, Brian Brice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have encoded clips with the DV video codec with having the QuickTime
> container.  These clips were to have 16:9 aspect ratio.  Having ffmpeg
> read these clips back in does not maintain the aspect ratio.
>
> avctx->sample_aspect_ratio always comes back as {0,1}.  Nothing in the
> QuickTime demux OR DV decoder sets the aspect ratio.

  Of course that would be a QT problem because it seems that we have
a container format not capable of signaling aspect ratio. But then
again, now that we have SAR generation being part of the DV codec,
I have no problem with making SAR recognition being part of the codec
as well.

  Anybody thinks its a bad idea ? Anybody thinks that CODECs should
not set avctx->sample_aspect_ratio ?

Thanks,
Roman.