[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] Compilation failure when using --disable-opts

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 15 03:46:49 CET 2007

Hi

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:30:17AM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/3/15, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
> >Hi
> >
> >On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:44:03AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >>
> >> What I meant was, is ebx ever reserved the same way on x86_64?
> >
> >i dont know what gcc does with PIC on x86-64 maybe it doesnt reserve
> >ebx/rbx
> >after all theres no technical reason why it reserves it on x86-32 it could
> >just handle the extra indirection over the GOT table like any other pointer
> >dereference in C
>
> x86-64 uses $rip relative addressing instead of #rbx for PIC code. I
> guess the %ebx usage as a GOT base register is in the ABI.

if the ABI says ebx must contain a pointer to the GOT thats not different
from a ABI which says the first 4 function arguments must be in registers
still no reason to lock and reserve the registers

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin