[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] DV in QuickTime - Aspect Ratio

herve.flores herve.flores
Thu Mar 15 11:02:10 CET 2007

Le 15 mars 07 ? 01:46, Roman Shaposhnick a ?crit :

> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 16:51 -0500, Brian Brice wrote:
>>> if you set aperture mode to "clean"
>>> and mode dimensions to "1"
>>> then your .mov will be display as 16:9 with QTplayer > v7
>>>
>>> PS: the output (.mov) from ffmpeg is "simple", the aperture bit
>>> "clean"
>>> does its job (=display an anamorphous file in square mode)
>>> but with files generated by other softs (iMovie for example, which
>>> generate a very complicated .mov), it doesn't work every time :-(
>>> so I don't trust the aperture mode...
>>>
>>> bye
>>>

>> I'm not quite sure if all of this is needed for QuickTime?
>
>   My assumption all along has been that it is usually container's
> job to store things like SAR, DAR, etc. But since DV is both
> a container and a codec format I have nothing against moving
> SAR initialization to libavcodec. Unless somebody tells me
> its a stupid idea.
>
>> Using the command that herve posted would create a video that the
>> QuickTime player recognizes as 16:9, but ffmpeg reading does not.
>
>   Right. And that's because QuickTime gives precedence to the DV
> metadata and not the container, ffmpeg is the other way around.
> I'm not really sure which way I prefer.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

just for info (on Mac OSX 10.4.9 with QuickTime 7.1.3) :
the 16:9 aspect in the .mov is not displayed on my computer.
display size is 720*576 (except if I check the aperture bit)

I will verify with QT 7.1.5 when I will install it

bye

Herv?