[Ffmpeg-devel] ffserver Documentation

Piero Bugoni crboca32
Thu Mar 15 19:22:13 CET 2007

--- Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be> wrote:

> Admittedly, this part of libavcodec is not very
> good. avcodec_string,
> which prepares such messages, is quite independent
> of the codec
> themselves. Some codecs complain or even abort when
> the bitrate is
> impossible, but others (like rawvideo) proceed
> silently.

Thanks, I think this answers a number of questions I
had regarding this.

> qmin/qmax with rawvideo!?

I didn't think so. I used raw as an example since it
did not involve any post-processing, but the questions
I had applied to various combinations I had tried.

So,
-sameq adjusts "q" and bitrate accordingly? (VBR is
Video Bit Rate?),

And, likewise, I guess, bitrate is codec dependent.

Anyone care to proffer a technical definition for
"video quantizer," or "video quantizer scale", and
perhaps its relationship to output file size, assuming
a constant bitrate?

Thanks.
Piero.

P.S.
Fourier was some French guy that had something to do
with math, Right?