[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [BUG] Compilation failure when using --disable-opts

Panagiotis Issaris takis
Fri Mar 16 01:06:49 CET 2007

Hi M?ns,

M?ns Rullg?rd schreef:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

>>> You should try Microsoft Visual Studio =) It will totally change your
>>> debugging experience.
>>>
>>> (yes, I know. It doesn't debug .stabs..)
>> IIRC Mans knows Visual Studio.
>
> I have probably used more debuggers than most of you, none of them
> particularly impressive, and Visual Studio worse than most.
>
> What I'm trying to get at is that a debugger might often let you see a
> snapshot of the process state whenever you stop it, typically at a
> breakpoint.  What it will not do is tell you how the process got into
> that state.  Placing print statements in strategic places will produce
> a log telling you exactly what has happened.  The trick is in printing
> the right information at the right places.
There's tracepoints for that.

> Before you ask, I know single-stepping is possible.  It's just not
> practical to single-step for three days waiting for the special
> condition to arise, at the same time mentally tracking the state in
You can use conditional breakpoints for that :)

> some vain hope to spot the point where things go wrong.  Debuggers
> can also interfere with the execution, especially timing, in ways that
> might cause the bug to never manifest itself.
This is IMHO the most problematic thing with debuggers. But if timing
isn't concerned debuggers are useful (again IMHO).

> I appreciate that different people will find themselves more
> comfortable with different techniques, and no single debugging method
> is the best for everybody.  That said, I have a reputation at work for
> quickly finding difficult bugs after others have failed...
>
>> May I take bets who is going to survive the upcoming flamewar unscathed?
>
> What war?

With friendly regards,
Takis
--