[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [BUG] Compilation failure when using --disable-opts

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Mar 16 03:45:22 CET 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:38:28AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >> some vain hope to spot the point where things go wrong.  Debuggers
> >> can also interfere with the execution, especially timing, in ways that
> >> might cause the bug to never manifest itself.
> > This is IMHO the most problematic thing with debuggers. But if timing
> > isn't concerned debuggers are useful (again IMHO).
>
> As I said, you are entitled to your opinion.  I still say that 99% of
> what can be done with a debugger can be done more easily with printf.
> For the remaining 1% I'll happily use a debugger.  It's all about
> using the appropriate tool for the job.

For what it's worth, I find debuggers useful only for tracking down
obscure (usually due to nonportable assumptions.. grrrr) bugs in
poorly documented code written by other people. If the code is
something I've written or that I'm familiar with or can easily become
familiar with, printf almost always wins for me.

YMMV..

Rich