[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [BUG] Compilation failure when using --disable-opts

Ramiro Polla ramiro
Fri Mar 16 23:15:09 CET 2007

M?ns Rullg?rd escreveu:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

>>> You should try Microsoft Visual Studio =) It will totally change your
>>> debugging experience.
>>>
>>> (yes, I know. It doesn't debug .stabs..)
>>>
>> IIRC Mans knows Visual Studio.
>>

> I have probably used more debuggers than most of you, none of them
> particularly impressive, and Visual Studio worse than most.

Hmm... I found it way better than any gdb based front-end like ddd,
insight, kdbg, code::blocks...
Could you point which one you prefer when you must use one? I'm curious
as to why it is worse than most.

> What I'm trying to get at is that a debugger might often let you see a
> snapshot of the process state whenever you stop it, typically at a
> breakpoint.  What it will not do is tell you how the process got into
> that state.  Placing print statements in strategic places will produce
> a log telling you exactly what has happened.  The trick is in printing
> the right information at the right places.

Sure, I prefer printfs to corner down the bug. But then, if it's not
clear yet, I use a debugger to step into the code and find out exactly
what's going wrong.

[...]
>> May I take bets who is going to survive the upcoming flamewar unscathed?
>>

> What war?

=)

Ramiro Polla