[Ffmpeg-devel] [Fwd: [CinCVS] New anti-patented algorithm for better Y'CbCr]

Rich Felker dalias
Sun Mar 18 19:29:20 CET 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 05:46:57PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> This message was on the Cinelerra mailinglist, maybe some devs are
> interested in the methods used.
>

> Stefan

Just from a casual reading of the page, it sounds stupid. The author
somehow things a 12.96 megabyte lookup table in his implementation
"improves performance", which signals incompetence right away.

Also, it sounds like what he's trying to compensate for his crappy
devices that use nearest-neighbor for chroma resampling. Obviously
this is idiotic to begin with. If you want high quality output, use a
proper resampler..

All of this is based on a very casual reading; the page was long and
ill-organized so that I couldn't quickly figure out what problem the
author claims to be solving. If you have a better idea what it's about
please fill me and others in on it.

Rich