[Ffmpeg-devel] Native zlib decoder

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Mon Mar 19 18:15:02 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 04:41:06PM -0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> As you may have gathered, I started working on a native zlib decoder for lavc.
>
> I have the basics working, i.e. I can decode a single deflate block coded with
> any of the coding methods (uncompressed, fixed Huffman tables, dynamic Huffman
> tables).
>
> Before I go further, I'd like some opinions on what kind of API would be most
> useful within lavc.  If I hear nothing, I'll examine the existing usage of
> zlib and try to make something suitable for all the cases.
>
> My main concern is output buffer management.  The decoder needs access to the
> last 32k of output, and I'd prefer not to copy data when it can be avoided.
>
> The PNG decoder, for instance, is easy to handle.  The output data size is
> known in advance, and the entire compressed input is available at once.  I'd
> like to also cope with arbitrarily long inputs and outputs without adversely
> affecting the simple cases.

As an author of about half of those decoders using ZLib I'd say that in most
cases simple uncompress() would satisfy all the needs. IIRC only ZMBV codec
requires context to decode.

So my proposition is to have ff_zlib_uncompress(dst, &dst_size, src, src_size)
and ZMBV can be workarounded later.

BTW, MOV demuxer is also the place where zlib decoder is needed.