[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Vladimir Mosgalin mosgalin
Wed Mar 21 09:32:39 CET 2007

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2007.03.20 at 21:35:58 -0500, Rich Felker wrote next:

> All of the resamplers in libsamplerate are horribly broken. Nicholas

What exactly do you mean, horribly broken? You don't like their quality
(in SINC modes, not in fastest modes)?  Give an example. And stop
spreading bullshit without even trying to listen a bit.

> Kain who sent the recent string safety patch series to mplayer-dev-eng
> recently patched ALSA (and sent his patches upstream) to use the lavc
> resampler instead, improving both quality (from abysmal to good) and

Who told you this? Have you checked it for yourself?

> performance (by about twenty times). The fact that ALSA ever used

Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah.
Well, lavcresample with default mplayer's settings may be a bit faster
than SINC resamplers from libsamplerate, but the quality is MUCH worse.

When I said that lavcresample was slower, I meant non-default settings
to improve quality, to at least make it on the par with libsamplerate.

> libsamplerate simply shows complete incompetence.

Well, as it is the only popular GPL'ed resampler available as a
standalone library, there was no choice.

Besides, minimal alsa installation doesn't link with libsamplerate.
libsamplerate converters available in separate alsa-plugins
distribution. So I really don't understand what do you mean, as I can
see that alsa-plugins is still using libsamplerate, not lavcresample.

--

Vladimir