[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Vladimir Mosgalin mosgalin
Wed Mar 21 15:26:12 CET 2007

Hi Michael Niedermayer!

 On 2007.03.21 at 12:53:30 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote next:

> you said "(believe it or not, but SRC_SINC_FASTEST sounds better than
> SRC_SINC_BEST_QUALITY and all other SRC_SINC libsamplerate filters to
> me)" which of course you cliped away from the quote

I can say that again, so what? It's not like BEST_QUALITY has bad
quality. It's just that I see no use of it.

I believe in math, but I don't believe in pure theory. I believe my
ears.  Another example - everyone says that vorbis is better than mp3,
however I can hear that it is much worse! True, for very low-bitrate
audio vorbis can be better, however when you increase it, mp3 quality
improves, and vorbis still contains same audible artifacts, just like on
lower bitrates. Does it mean that I should use vorbis instead of mp3
just because it is "supposed" to be better? (I'm talking about same
bitrate in 256/320kbit range)

> > udial.wav,
>
> ~500 hits first is from someone who too searches for the file and then
> happily finds .ape of it

Sure, as with most audio samples on the web, you have to expect them in
ape/wavpack/flac..

> sorry but you will have to upload these files to upload.mplayerhq.hu if
> you want us to look at them, also dont forget to tell us after you uploaded
> them ...

ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/resampling_samples/

I flake'ed them however.

> ffmp3 has dithered output by default you just have to belive it for
> the placebo effect to work that is unless you use artificial tests with
> the volume turned up and the content being very silent

I'm glad for ffmp3, but mad's quality is better. At least it was better
a few years ago. mad hasn't improved since then, but has ffmp3 gotten
better?

Anyway I don't think you can get more from mp3 sample than what mad
gives to you. Not that I really care, I rip everything to flac and my
gstreamer-based audio player has pure 32-bit audio chain ;)

--

Vladimir