[Ffmpeg-devel] tiff encoder (qualification task for GSoC)

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Mar 23 04:14:28 CET 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:27:46AM +0900, Bobby Bingham wrote:
> The first two bytes of a TIFF file specify whether the file is in little
> or big endian, so it's certainly possible to encode to either.  But
> since all decoders are required to read either, I think it'd just be
> fastest and simplest to encode in the host's native endianness and leave
> it at that.

Except that this would break regression tests... I'm not the one
writing it so take or leave what I have to say, but I think it would
be simpler to choose one preferred order (big endian) and always write
that. AFAIK, the only way code that writes in host order is simple is
if it makes nonportable assumptions about struct layout and
alignment..

Rich