[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Rich Felker dalias
Mon Mar 26 01:41:05 CEST 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 07:26:24PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> >> Not only is it not prohibited, it is considered desirable and
> >> work is underway to implement it in GCC:
> >
> > Yet another reason gcc is idiotic then. Wasting huge resources (both
> > development time and cpu time on the system running gcc) for the sake
> > of useless "optimizations" that will make zero difference unless the
> > coder is stupid.
>
> Rich, you're forgetting one thing here: *everybody* except you is
> stupid.

M?ns... I don't think I'm being at all unreasonable saying it's stupid
for the coder to put a function call inside a loop, when the call
could have been outside the loop and the result saved in a local
variable. gcc will not be doing anyone any favors by 'optimizing' it
out of the loop. The code is poorly written and poorly expressive, and
should be fixed by the coder, not by the compiler.

And FYI, what you said is blatently wrong. Michael is not stupid. :)
And I don't think you are either.

Rich