[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-cvslog] r8420 - trunk/libavcodec/dv.c

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Mon Mar 26 03:04:19 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 09:51 +1000, John Dalgliesh wrote:
> What exactly is the problem here? Yes technically the ABI only requires
> 4-byte aligned stack. And yes gcc doesn't seem capable of aligning to
> better than the stack alignment. But this doesn't affect the correctness
> of the code!

  True. The assertion is there which means -- worst case scenario
is -- we'll be getting bug reports from the platforms where it
breaks. However, my personal belief is that you can't bandaid
with an assert over code which could be fixed. I'll try to
figure out the best way of doing that.

> But regardless, the only way you can call it nonportable is if you also
> make the (nonportable) assumption of using broken gcc.

  Gcc is not the only compiler in the world. You know that.

Thanks,
Roman.