[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug report: seeking in mp3 files does not work

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Mar 26 16:14:57 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:25:55PM +0200, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> i debugged the case a bit more and found out that this change broke mp3
> seeking:
>
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/libavformat/utils.c?r1=8432&r2=8433&sortby=date
>
> If i revert only this change, i can seek in mp3s again. I do not see any
>  problem with this code, what should hurt here? It is definitivly better
> to allow people to seek with short little click sound at begin than to
> not seek at all!

Well, IMO the better (best?) solution would be to try to seek to
keyframes and if that fails or is off too much optionally revert
to seeking to non-keyframes. Non-keyframe seeking does not make that
much sense for video, but it's not completely useless at least in some
case either IMO.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger