[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Bethsoft VID demuxer and decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 27 03:18:43 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 04:54:08PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >this is wrong, you should set the proper timebase (and i suggest you dont
> >look in demuxers written by melanson ;) for figuring our how to do that)
>
> See, that's why I advised him to direct this patch to the broader list.
>  All of my demuxers predate the new pts system and I still haven't
> figured it out.

whats a timebase?
its simply the units in which timestamps are stored
1 second for example is one, 1/100 second too is one ...

now for example if we have a 25 fps video and a 1/100 second timebase then the
frames could have the following timestamps
0,4,8,12,16,20,...

if we have a 1/150 second timebase then our 25 fps video would have
0,6,12,18,24,30,...

and a 30 fps video with 1/150 timebase would have
0,5,10,15,20,25,...

if we now have a video with 1/30 fps which has a few identical frames which
have been skiped and arent stored then the timestamps might be
0,5,20,25,...

a 30 and 25 fps mixed video with 1/150 second timebase could look like
0,5,10,15,21,27,33,39,...

av_set_pts_info(AVStream *s, int pts_wrap_bits, int pts_num, int pts_den);

av_set_pts_info() sets the timebase and the number of bits each timestamp has
so if timestamps are stored as 33 bit values like in mpeg then pts_wrap_bits
is 33, if they are stored as 64bit values in the bitstream then its 64
pts_num is the numerator of the timebase, pts_den the denominator

i hope this makes the whole clear to everyone ...

> How I rose to be the FFmpeg mentoring administrator is
> anyone's guess. :)

you volunteered ;)
and handled last years soc excellently btw ...

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes