[Ffmpeg-devel] Motion Estimation in snow.c for DWT frames.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 27 19:37:43 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 05:20:39PM -0400, Aniket Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on implementing a motion estimation algorithm for DWT encoded
> frames. The command that I use for encoding a raw frame is:
> ffmpeg -t 60 -s 176x144 -i formulaone_64kbps_5fps.yuv -f rawvideo -pix_fmt
> yuv420p  -strict -2 -vcodec snow -b 600 -an -f mp4 play.mp4
>
> I suspect that much of the motion estimation for a DWT encoded frame takes
> place in the encode_q_branch function in the following lines:

[...]
> Could anyone please correct me if my assumption that motion estimation
> takes place here is wrong?

motion estimation takes place in ff_epzs_motion_search() and
sub_motion_search() which are called from encode_q_branch()
or alternatively if high quality iterative ME is used then ME takes place
in iterative_me()

> Also, more importantly can anyone
> tell me how to access the reference frame

last_picture

> and the current frame, and

current_picture and the input can be found at new_picture/input_picture

> how/where the difference between current & ref frames
> (i.e., the motion vectors) is calculated.

the motion vectors are calculted in the motion estimation code

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.