[Ffmpeg-devel] Embedded preview vhook/voutfb.so /dev/fb

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 27 20:10:01 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:38:55PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:38:00AM -0400, Marc Hoffman wrote:
> >> I was looking at libmpcodecs that is one awsome piece of software,
> >> which has probably been around a while so most of the bugs have been
> >> shaken out.  This seems like a reasonable path to me which leverages a
> >> lot of mature (reasonably) technology.
> >
> > LMAO... You can construct filter chains which simply crash, or which
> > output the wrong thing based on adjacent filters' presence or
> > absence... It's just that most of the common cases work well enough
> > that no one notices..
> >
> > I'm one of the main people who wrote (and enhanced existing) filters
> > for it way back, so I have good reason to believe it sucks.. :)
>
> I'm with Rich on this one.  It's a waste of time to replace the vhooks
> with something else that doesn't work properly and which we'll want to
> replace again anyway.

its not a waste of time to replace something mostly NOT WORKING with something
that works very well in practice and has a huge heap of existing filters

even if we write our own better filter system libmpcodecs support is
absolutely wanted simply because of the many filters mplayer has

also its much more realistic to take an existing system and improve it
than to rewrite it from scratch, rewrites almost always fail

and most important we played this rewrite the filter system from scratch
game since _YEARS_ both in ffmpeg and mplayer with not a single line of
code coming out of it. its time for thouse who want their supperior
filter system to start coding instead of blocking efforts to improve
the situation with unspecific claims that it could be done better

iam sure the crashes in libmpcodecs can be fixed, iam sure its trivial
to write a simplified 1-in-1-out and local style filter wrapers on top
of libmpcodes as proposed so wheres the advantage of not using libmpcodecs
and how can that advantage actually be reached that is without inroducing
a heap of other problems

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus