[Ffmpeg-devel] Embedded preview vhook/voutfb.so /dev/fb

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 27 23:30:53 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:11:33PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > also its much more realistic to take an existing system and improve it
> > than to rewrite it from scratch, rewrites almost always fail
>
> I'm torn as to whether this is true or not. If you're going to work
> >from an existing system rather than rewrite, then IMO the main effort
> needs to be on removing what sucks and simplifying, rather than
> extending. BusyBox is one AMAZING example of a project that's made
> great things out of crappy legacy sources, both increasing
> functionality and decreasing bloat and (more importantly) complexity
> with each successive commit/release. On the other hand, gcc and glibc
> are horrible examples of what can go wrong when you keep building on a
> fundamentally broken foundation. There will never be a good compiler
> based on gcc unless someone forks it and strips it down to bare
> bones..

i fully agree, why dont you start simplifying libmpcodecs? (or rewriting
it if you think that is realistic) :)

> > and most important we played this rewrite the filter system from scratch
> > game since _YEARS_ both in ffmpeg and mplayer with not a single line of
> > code coming out of it. its time for thouse who want their supperior
> > filter system to start coding instead of blocking efforts to improve
> > the situation with unspecific claims that it could be done better
>
> I won't block efforts to support libmpcodecs. But if there's a SoC
> project I wish it could lead in a new direction.. Maybe that's just
> wishful thinking. I will not be around to aid in SoC mentoring but I
> could write up and leave my notes for others to examine.

the problem with soc and a revolutionary new filter API is that most
students are clearly not qualified for a task like that also its the
students decission for which task(s) he applies

and yes your notes are very welcome, especially in .c and .h files :)))

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator