[Ffmpeg-devel] Development of transparent VP6/AVI functionality

Clever Neologism gestahl
Wed Mar 28 15:42:46 CEST 2007

First, I would like to thank all of the developers of ffmpeg, as we have
made extensive use of the transcoding technologies and we are also using it
in conjunction with ImageMagick to do dynamic editing and customization of
videos via our web interface.  It has been easy and immensely useful to us.
We are a company that is constructing an online video advertising exchange
platform, and we are running into a bit of a problem: we want to be able to
also have dynamically customizable "overlay" videos (similar to what you
might see on the bottom of your TV screen), using compositing of a video
with transparency on top of a main video.  However, ffmpeg does not yet
support the encoding or splitting/recombining of frames of a video with
transparency.

  Are there any current plans to support splitting a transparent AVI into
PNGs and then being able to re-encode them after editing, or is there any
support planned for doing the same with the transparency-enabled VP6 codec?

  If not, would anyone be interested in developing this functionality for us
on a contract basis?

  Again, thank you for the wonderful software.

Eric Price
VP Engineering
FourSpots, Inc.
http://www.fourspots.com