[Ffmpeg-devel] Embedded preview vhook/voutfb.so /dev/fb

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Mar 28 23:29:10 CEST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:11:48PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > i never proposed anything pull based. my filter api design is
>
> you did propose a pull model a very long time ago IIRC

ah yes. :) by never i meant never as part of this proposal here. sorry
for not being clear. the api proposed here accomodates either; the
filters don't care which direction they're used, at least the pure
picture filters.

> a pure pull model doesnt work with slices

depends on what you mean by pure pull. the end of the filter chain can
still pull frames, as long as earlier parts can obtain buffers and
draw to them (with slice submissions) in a callback sort of manner.
but you probably call this hybrid. :)

> a pure push model doesnt work with direct rendering
> a hybrid push/pull model is what libmpcodecs (and xine) do already

current libmpcodecs is entirely push. there's no 'obtain a frame'
command sent from outside, only a 'decode and filter a frame' command.

perhaps we have different ideas of what push/pull mean.

rich