[Ffmpeg-devel] channel ordering and downmixing

Justin Ruggles justinruggles
Fri Mar 30 03:05:20 CEST 2007

Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Paul Curtis wrote:
>>On encode, that reverse process would occur ... the container would set
>>it's "preferred" channel mapping, and the codec could override it. You
>>could also have an option (a la 'mplayer') to force the mapping, if needed.
>

> That makes sense I guess.  One issue would be that the codec init
> (avcodec_open) seems to be called before the muxer init
> (av_write_header).  So the preferred channel order for the container
> would need to be stored in the AVOutputFormat right?

scratch that part.  I just realized that the codec init could set the
layout first or else set it to something like CHANNEL_LAYOUT_NONE to let
the muxer set it to its preferred layout in av_write_header.

-Justin